Saturday, July 31, 2010

Challenge #1: FIN

And so it is done.
5 hours, 1 shirt and a ½ hour of sewing time.

I feel pretty good about it.
I think my biggest challenge was the lack of fabric I have at home to incorporate into the garment, so I only used the fabric that the shirt had to give, plus a small bias strip for the cute little ruffle.

All in all, I think I was successful, and I had a good time too.

I never felt pressed for time, only pressed for fabric. I used almost all of Manny’s old shirt, with a few small strips left over.

Sketching didn’t provide for much help either, for I was limited to what I had. The creative juices really got going once I started to hack up his dress shirt. I started by seam ripping out the collar, followed by the sleeves. Then I cut the shirt into the dark pattern striped strips and the lighter color.

By sewing these strips together I was able to create a whole new look and pattern for the fabric.

Fun!
Alright Project Runway, bring it ON!

2 comments:

Aika Krecek said...

WOW! That looks awesome Michelle! Manny was telling us today that you were starting your "Project Runway Trial Run". This is wonderful. Good luck! I will definitely be following your designs :)

Heather - dollarstorecrafts said...

The little peplum thing is so cute!