A couple of years ago my friend Carrie got me the book 'Retro Pies: A Collection of Celebrated Family recipes' by Linda Everett. Carrie knows that baking has never been my strong suit, except when it comes to pies, and although I bake about 5-6 pies a year, I have never baked a pie from this book. Well that is about to change!
I harvested apples from my tree today, and pulled out the book for some inspiration, but none of the apple pies look as good as my old standby, but what really caught my eye were the savory pies!
- Mystic Seaport Clam Pie (Connecticut)
- Oysterville's Pride (Oysterville, Washington)
- Steak and Kidney Pie
- Alaskan Tundra Partridge Pie
- Wintery Favorite Onion Pie
- Colonial Chicken Pie
- Old Arkansas Boiled Egg Pie
- Creole Pork Pie
- Southwest Tamale Pie
And then there are the crazy desert pies:
- Green Tomato Pie (No, really this calls for 1 1/2 cups sugar)
- Heartland Butterscotch Pie
- Three-Alarm Chocolate Pie
- Grange Apple-Custard Pie
- Pineapple Cream Pie
- Webster County Vinegar Pie
- Deep South Peanut Butter Pie
These are just a few that look amazing AND WIERD!!!
So I am going to cook them all. Even the really strange ones and envite my friends and family over to eat them, rate them and have some good ol family fun!